Emera's Board of Directors is committed to a high standard of corporate governance. The fundamental responsibility of the Board is to provide rigorous oversight of an integrity-based culture, development and execution of strategy, risk management, senior leadership development and succession planning, oversight of financial and other reporting and disclosures and corporate governance.
In 2017 Emera was named in the top five organizations in Canada for corporate governance. The Globe and Mail Board Games compares more than 240 companies and trusts in the S&P/TSX composite index across the nation and ranks them based on factors such as board composition and diversity, shareholder rights and disclosure practices.
Driven by Emera’s business strategy, sustainability issues are managed day-to-day within each business unit across the company and are reported to the respective executive team members. Scorecards contain targets relevant to our sustainability performance to ensure our strategic goals are delivered.
At the executive level, our sustainability program is the responsibility of the Executive Vice President of Stakeholder Relations & Regulatory Affairs, who reports to the Chief Executive Officer.
At the board level, the Health, Safety and Environment Committee has oversight of all issues related to these specific issues. All other sustainability issues are reported to the full Emera Board at regular meetings throughout the year.
The Emera Code of Conduct sets out the ethical standards and behaviours expected of all our employees.
Code of Conduct
Our Code of Conduct is based on principles that are the foundation of everything we do at Emera.
Safety, Health & the Environment
- We are committed to health and wellness and strive to live and work injury-free.
- We believe that all injuries are preventable, and that safety of life outweighs all other considerations.
- We are committed to meeting our business objectives in a manner which is respectful and protective of the environment.
- We build trust by finding common interest and always acting with integrity.
- We hold ourselves to high ethical standards.
- We comply with the laws, regulations and policies that govern us.
- We safely deliver cost-effective and reliable energy to meet our customers’ needs.
- We seek cleaner, affordable and more sustainable energy solutions.
- We are deeply invested in our communities.
Respect & Collaboration
- We treat all people with respect and value diversity.
- We achieve results through collaboration.
- We deliver on our commitments to customers, shareholders, other stakeholders and each other.
- We seek continuous improvement and tenaciously pursue creative solutions.
- We invest in the growth of our people and the development of leaders.